With the increasing public debate on questions regarding fake news, voter manipulation etc., ethical questions regarding data handling have finally gained real momentum. Several initiatives are currently set in motion to develop the basic data ethics standards for technology and business development. Many building on the visions in regards to user control, transparency and accountability embedded in the new European Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). DataEthics.eu is involved in several of the initiatives based on DataEthics’ core principles.
We are keeping track with this (non exhaustive) list of Standards Initiatives:
- EDPS Digital Ethics Board (EU)
- The Danish Government’s Data Ethics Expert Committee (DK)DataEthics.eu is involved with two committee members.
- Ethics in Horizon2020 (EU) The ECs ethics procedures increasingly have a data ethics emphasis (Here’s a very useful description of EC ethics requirements for research by Peter Burgess.
- IEEEs Ethics in Action (Global)
Global initiative for Ethically Aligned Design of Intelligent and Autonomous Systems.See in particular the report section on personal data as well as the P7000 standard working groups. DataEthics.eu is actively involved as e.g. Vice Chair of the P7006 standard on Personal Data AI agency
- UK Council of Data Ethics(UK)
- EC High Level Group on AI (EU) One of the DataEthics.eus co founders is involved in as an independent individual member of the group.
- AI for Humanity (FR) Macron’s initiative.
- AI Now (US)